Thursday, August 18, 2022

The Ethos of Silvi

 

ANSWERING THE ETHOS OF BEING SILVI

In the two weeks since publishing our take, Silvi's new single Burning, has been leaving an entrancing effect on all who hear it.  A day has not gone by when I have not seen tweets saying what an incredible song it its, and yes it is, or seeing it added to a new playlist of the week...you know who you are!     

Silvi has graciously taken time from her hectic schedule to give us a behind the scenes insight into everything from her influences and creative approach, to being a female musician in the scene, and what many are excited for...the follow up to Burning.   

How would you describe the music you’re working on today, and your creative process?

The music I currently make is different to my old stuff subject wise but has stayed the same in terms of how I approach it. I always write a song when I feel like something is unjust or something I feel is out with my immediate control. 

My easiest way to process that and try get on with my day is to write everything down and try create something from the feeling so it’s not a negative empty void in my life. Being able to build on it and encourage other perspectives on it through writing is where I get a lot of comfort and clarity.  

Who are some of your biggest musical inspirations and influences?

In general it would be Stevie wonder, James Morrison and LÉON. For this particular new song I drew from artists like Two Feet and Muse.

Being a female musician, what do you see as your biggest challenges and successes? 

The issue I’ve found is that people often get things because of who they know. In a male dominated industry, it encourages more males to progress. When opportunities are given out, they’re often given to friends. Such as when a male band or musician makes it big he takes all of his friends on tour with him as the supports and they’re often other males. Women are typically put on first too when nobody’s in the venue yet. I can totally see a shift at my level though, people are being so much more conscious of the gender imbalance and there’s men out there trying to make a real difference in their choices moving forward. 

Are you working on a follow up to Burning ?

I have a few songs that could be taken into the studio next, but I’ve not actually recorded anything yet! My issue is trying to balance everything, working a full time job, gigging, writing, finances, promotion, interviews, admin, keeping up with a social media presence and also trying to have an element of a real life social life. I like to go and support my friends at gigs too whenever I can, so that sometimes takes up a whole weekend if I’m also busy or gigging, then before I know it I’m back to work on Monday! Recording and the process of it can be time consuming and expensive so I need to make sure I have a decent chunk of time on my hands before I get started on something else.

Musically what’s next on the horizon for you?

I want to continue exploring this genre and the soul/rock elements of it. I have really loved the process of working on this track with my producer SERA. As soon as I have the time and money I’ll be chapping on his door begging him to work on another song for me. 

 You mentioned the upcoming gig at King Tut’s later this month, do you have any other upcoming gigs or festival appearances that you would like to plug?

Yes! I’ll make a wee list,

21st August : King Tut's

3rd September : Vibrations Festival Breakthrough Stage, Falkirk

10th September : Outwith festival, Dunfermline

25th September : Currently unannounced but it’ll be in Aberdeen if you’re about!

1st of October : Indie all Dayer at O’Rileys, Hull 

What’s the best piece of advice you ever received as a musician that you would like to pass on?

“You cannot pour from an empty cup” - Kimberley Forsyth

And there you have it, the ethos of being Silvi from the artist herself.  Haunting, passion filled vocals against a complex searing soundtrack, yes.  But behind the music a consummate artist, honing her craft while very much navigating the everyday world we find ourselves in today.  It is with baited breath we await the follow up to Burning and another installment on the journey of Silvi.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

GAZELLE - LADY BLUE SKY

...COME OUT TO PLAY... Some say there's terror on the fairground, t he euphoric suspense before stepping onto the ride, a clatter of swi...